Crop and Export Report 2019, Week 45
The Chilean blueberry exports continue to rise. Until week 44, 1,681 tons of fresh blueberries have been exported, 34% more than the previous season at the same week. The volumes come mainly from the North Zone, where an increase in the shipments from Coquimbo and Valparaíso Regions has been noticed, with varieties such as Jewel, Rocío, Emerald and Ventura, among other new varieties that show the varietal replacement.
As usual for this stage of the season, air shipments continue leading the volumes with 67% of the total exported until week 44, while the remaining 33% is concentrated in seaports, mainly San Antonio. During week 44 some fruits cargo where diverted to other ports due to operational issues that affected the regular shipments from San Antonio. The situation in the ports will remain under monitoring and will continue to be reported in due editions.
With respect to the organic blueberries, 965 tons have been exported until week 44, 75% more than the same week of the previous season, being destined almost entirely to the North American market.
CHILEAN BLUEBERRY EXPORTS, BY WEEK AND ACCUMULATED UP TO WEEK 45, IN TONS
Crop Update by Zone
Crops in this zone continue to progress normally and are at the peak. Increases in departure volumes are observed as well as new varieties exported.
The harvest in the OHiggins Region continues in the covered fields, which are entering into the peak of volumes mainly with Rocio and Emerald. The uncovered orchards are beginning with ONeal this week, which is normal for this area.
South Central Zone. In Maule Region the harvest continues in the covered fields although volumes are light. The uncovered orchards are beginning in some early areas. In the Bio Bio Region the harvest has not yet started, but it is expected to begin the second half of November with the harvest of early varieties. On the other hand, some hailings were reported in Los Angeles towards the pre-mountain are, with localized damage.
The harvests have not started.