Crop and Export Report 2019, Week 44

EDITORIAL

During week 43, 259 tons of fresh blueberries were exported, mostly via airfreight. This represents a lower volume than the previous week, when 323 tons were exported. This adjustment can be attributed to delays in the information input, plus delays in the exports logistic due to port strikes that have occurred in the last two weeks. This is because the harvest zones remain with volumes on the rise. This week (44), the shipments are noticed with more regularity, the airfreights remain leading with the airport working without stops. Thus, the shipment volumes should remain the rising trend in the coming weeks.

At the moment, where the total exported volume is starting to increase and in consequence the maritime volumes, workers in some ports have supported the strikes, putting some difficulties to the export logistics of week 44 to some extent. The whole situation is going to be monitored in the coming weeks.

Up to week 43, 1,160 tons of fresh blueberries have been exported. This is 49% more than the accumulated volume in the same week of last year. Out of this total, 667 tons are organic blueberries, 57% of the total exported. The total shipments (conventional + organic) have been focused mainly in the North American market, which accounts 70% of the shipments and the Far East market with the remaining 30%. Other markets such as Europe, Latin America and the Middle East presents minor shipments.

CHILEAN BLUEBERRY EXPORTS, BY WEEK AND ACCUMULATED UP TO WEEK 44, IN TONS
Week From To Weekly Shipments Accumulated 2019/20
Export
Progress
2018/19
Season
Actual
2019/20
2018/19
Season
Actual
2019/20
Total U.S./
Canada
Europe Far
East
Other
3419-Aug25-Aug040040040%
3526-Aug1-Sep522000560%
362-Sep8-Sep15221803021280%
379-Sep15-Sep353822214056650.1%
3816-Sep22-Sep104739080671130.1%
3923-Sep29-Sep45886402501122010.2%
4030-Sep6-Oct6717212604601793730.3%
417-Oct13-Oct10834429115102867170.6%
4214-Oct20-Oct18432324447414711.0400.9%
4321-Oct27-Oct307258150010617781.2981.1%
Season total 778 1.298 956 8 331 2
Source: Information prepared by IQonsulting from SAG/Asoex. From information prepared by Asoes A.G. according to the inspections forms submitted by the exporters to SAG (Agricultural and Livestock Service)

North Zone:

In Ovalle, the harvest is at the peak of volumes in varieties such as Star, Emerald and Jewel. The labor availability is been fine, but the two holidays during this week, October 31st and November 1st, the harvests pace might be affected.

Central-North Zone:

The harvest continues at a moderate pace. Some progress is reported in the San Fernando area, mainly under tunnel.

Central-South Zone:

The harvests have not started.

South Zone:

The harvests have not started.